I’ve tried several times to make my own burgers; it has never gone well. All too often they are bland and tasteless; I’m not actually sure quite where I’m going wrong. I suppose with some practice I could master it, but why should I when Costco do it so well for me!
2 burgers per person (I like to use Costco’s Aberdeen Angus Burgers or Minted Lamb Burgers)
3-4 rashers bacon per person
2 slices of cheese (in the Burger Stack in the picture I used stilton, but a nice strong cheddar is great too)
- Turn the oven on 180°c
- Start off the burgers by frying them (without oil) until they are starting to brown. Transfer them to a deep baking tray and pop them in the oven while you prepare the salad. I usually give them 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
- If you like really crispy bacon – dry-fry it (without oil) until it is cooked through and then pop it on a baking tray in the oven on a shelf below the burgers. If you prefer your bacon less crispy you can cook it straight in the oven, just fry it or grill it. I often use the grill feature of my microwave and cook it for 15-20 minutes, which saves a lot of mess!
- Slice your cheese ready for stacking.
- Stack the burgers, bacon and cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted. I stack them in this order – burger, bacon, cheese, burger, bacon, cheese.
- You can of course add a slice or two of beef tomato, or perhaps some fried onions and mushrooms and, of course, you can omit the cheese if you prefer or if you are avoiding dairy. The choice is yours.
- Serve with a simple salad and enjoy!